Saturday, December 12, 2009

Lessons Learned from a Leaf

There are some things in life that just cannot be explained.





I try not to put myself in situations that will leave me emotionally hurting. As I am beginning to learn more about life through my experiences, this is an impossible feat. I make bold moves and try to be brave with these decisions. But, there is point where the bravery runs out and the decisions made start to hurt. Having to learn the hard way is never the best way.





There's a storm outside, but it is not as bad as the one brewing within me.





As I sat outside smoking a cigarette, I noticed a little leaf being carried by a current in a stream formed by the torrential rain. This leaf broke from a pack of other leaves and attempted to achieve it's own independence. Such a bold move. Filled with vigor and the sense of vindication, the leaf gracefully made it's way down the path. I cheered silently to myself, enjoying the victory that the leaf had reached. It was as if it feared nothing and there was no way that it would be stopped. That is until the free spirit was halted. Up ahead, there was a pile of bigger leaves that trapped it. My heart broke. It tried so hard to move but it was useless. That great obstacle crushed it's hopes. I knew that feeling. When you try so hard for something and you think, "This could be it. This could work out," and there's that obstacle. It had been waiting for your opportunity to break through just to stop you in your tracks. It's a constant reminder of what reaching too far might do to you. That little leaf experienced that downfall.



This is why I unconsciously build walls and try to prevent myself from becoming emotionally attached to anything. I should have kept it that way because the minute I let my guard down, I got hurt. That was my obstacle.



Just when I had given up all hope for the little leaf and myself, I witnessed the majesty of nature. With help from the rain and wind, the little leaf broke through the obstacle and continued on it's journey.



There's hope for me yet.

...and the music played on.

No comments: